National Senior Citizens Day is the perfect time to honor and gift someone you care about. Since 1988, August 21st has been set aside to commemorate this demographic; here are some useful and thoughtful gift ideas that any senior will appreciate.
Ever since Ronald Regan declared it to be National Senior Citizens Day in 1988, people have been honoring and gifting the seniors in their life on August 21st. So, what is a good gift idea for an older individual, especially if they have physical challenges or disabilities that limit their activities? There are some great gift ideas and don’t forget that mobility aids are always in style. Call or visit to learn more!
Some gift ideas for the seniors in your life include:
There are so many ways that technology can make life easier and safer for seniors and that provide an overwhelming peace of mind for their loved ones. From security systems and video doorbells to Alexa and Siri in the home, help should always be nearby. Furthermore, smartphone capabilities are increasing; see what programs and features are offered on your plans. Give a senior a phone, a device, or even a doorbell- these are all excellent gift ideas.
Do you or a senior you love, enjoy cooking? Kitchen accidents happen not just to seniors, but to everyone. There are some ways to make life safer or you could simply gift a meal plan or meal delivery service for your senior this National Senior Citizens Day.
What do they like to eat? Today, it is easy to find meal services that offer all different kinds of foods, for all different palates. Remember the days when the only food you could have delivered was fresh fruits and who really needs all those pears? Meal service options today include basic, ready-to-serve meals, to more interactive ingredients for an enclosed recipe. The choice is yours!
When you think of great gifts, what do you think about? For a senior, it could be a comfort item or something that they may not actually buy for themselves. This will vary depending on the distinct preferences of the senior but some ideas for affordable and appreciated comfort gifts may include these suggestions:
- Weighted blankets are an excellent idea for anyone that suffers from anxiety, sleep issues, or dementia. They provide a sense of security that aids in relaxation and sleep.
- Fidget quilts are a therapeutic aid for anyone with anxiety or dementia. They are typically the size of a lap throw with lots of embellishments to ‘fidget’ with.
- Luxurious throws or blankets are always a welcome, tactile gift.
- Some exquisite lotion or body care items are often a great idea for those that may not spend the money on themselves.
- Sumptuous socks or slippers are practical and special.
- Chocolate can be a nice idea if the senior does not follow a special or restricted diet. In other cases, fresh fruit or other yummy treats may be better suited.
These are just a few ideas, but there are many more. Consider the comfort items that your loved one might like and use this as a gift guide for National Senior Citizens Day this summer.
Have you given any thought to mobility aids? Even those that do not need something like wheelchairs or stairlifts can benefit from a number of mobility aids designed to increase accessibility and enhance quality of living. Give the gift of improved mobility with these great ideas:
- Portable ramps are so handy to have when mobility challenges make steps or stairs difficult. These can be tossed in a vehicle to use when away and when you are unsure what accessibility will be like.
- Shower seats and benches add a level of safety to the bathroom and may help to reduce the risk of a nasty fall and debilitating injury.
- Reaching tools help to prevent problems and accidents when trying to access items that are out of reach or up high.
- Grab bars can be installed easily, in any spot where seniors could use a bit of support or stability. Some popular spots include near the toilets, doors, and stairways of the home.
- Adaptive aids, like customized or oversized cutlery, for instance, are also designed to make activities of daily living easier. Talk to a mobility professional to learn more.
What better gift is there than increased accessibility? Access directly relates to autonomy and self-sufficiency; a gift that fosters independence is one to be treasured.
You know that your time and attention are all that a loved one really wants. Make time and take the effort to spend an afternoon, share a meal, have a cup of tea, or even just have a personal conversation with someone special. These are the times to make cherished memories. Start with something special for National Senior Citizens Day this year!
Want a great gift for a senior? Call on the team at Pacific Mobility to help. With quality devices and equipment, we have a lot to offer seniors any time of the year!
President, Husband, Father, Grandfather Graduate of UC Davis- Bio Sci Major- Go Aggies! Jeff has extensive experience in all of Pacific Mobility’s products and services, and specializes in accessibility products as well as stairlifts, ceiling lifts and custom wheel chairs. His hobbies include spending time with family, gardening, mountain biking, exercising and off road motorcycle riding.
24 years as Owner/President of Pacific Mobility Center – selling, installing, and servicing stairlifts, porch lifts, ceiling lifts, pool lifts, handicap ramping, specialty wheelchairs, scooters, power wheel chairs, and other power mobility devices
Certified Environmental Access Consultant since 2008
Licensed General Contractor since 1998
Certified Aging in Place Specialist since 2016
Board Member for Home Access Professionals
Member of Association of Members of the Accessibility Equipment Industry (AEMA)